Wednesday 18 August 2010

How to pass an hour....or so

I've been thinking about tutorials recently. I love when I come across a 'how to' post on the blogs that I visit and I reckon it's only fair that I share a little something in appreciation of all the lovely tutorials that I have enjoyed. Now taking into account my dubious photography, and having realised just how tricky it is to point, shoot and knit at the same time.... Here is something simple that my friend Cathy showed me. 

If you are anything like me, it's quite possible that you will have some fancy/fashion yarn at the back of the cupboard. Something which caught your eye, which you just had to buy and which you still haven't found a purpose for. I think the pink one was called Firefly but I'm not sure about the other one. They usually come in 25 or 50 gram balls and 25 should be enough for one scarf.  Recommended needle size for these yarns is 3.5 / 4mm but this little pattern uses 10mm needles and knits up really quickly.
There are no fancy stitches, just knit.
Here is one I made earlier.


Start by casting on one stitch.
Knit one
Increase one stitch
Increase in both stitches
Then increase one stitch in the first and last stitch of every row.


Keep going until you have around 80 stitches, making sure that you have about 3-4 meters of yarn left for casting off. I usually aim for 86 stitches, but if you are running short of yarn you can get away with 70 stitches and still have a nice wee scarf.
Cast off loosely then weave in the ends.



 The only problem is that every time I make one I sell two and now I'm needing to replenish that empty corner at the back of my wool cupboard...
Hope you enjoy, and thanks for all your tutorials.
Fiona x




3 comments:

Fiona said...

I see another trip to my local yarn store on the horizon! I usually shy away from this type of yarn as I have no idea what to do with it - now I have no excuse. Thank you!

Anna Kay said...

How to posts are a great idea. I really like the one you made earlier (pink). I wouldn't mind making one for myself. Thanks for sharing!!

quilary said...

This looks like something even I could knit up. Thanks for sharing the pattern.